Web Wednesday March: Making your splash in the iPhone App Store
iPhone has changed the way we think about cell phones, and with the App Store, a whole new industry has developed within the past 2 years. Apps, especially the game apps make people crazy about them.
As more and more Chinese have iPhone, iPhone games have become more and more popular in China. This month’s Web Wednesday, Peter Tam, CTO of iNFOiSLive and Gameislive, gave us a great speech about the current situation of iPhone App Store in China-market.
由于越来越多的中国人拥有iPhone，iPhone游戏在中国越来越受欢迎。本月的Web Wednesday，我们请来了拉阔资讯有限公司（iNFOiSLive 和Gameislive）的技术总监谭止诚来给我们谈谈中国iPhone应用程序商店的市场现状。
Peter founded his company with a friend after he got his doctorate in US. His company is an international developing IT outsourcing services provider based on Apple system. They develop software, games and ring tone for mobile phones, especially for iPhone.
Here are some interesting things mentioned by Peter:
iPhone games will be translated into English most of the time, but not into other languages. Games always have English version or its local language + English version. Games with only local language version are very rare. Are all the developers good at English? The fact is most of the users are English users. Of course, even the registration of iPhone developer is in English.
大部分时候，iPhone游戏会被翻译成英文，而不是翻译成其他的语言。大部分游戏都只有英文 版本或者本地语言+英文版本。只有本地语言版本的游戏是非常罕见的。开发者的英文都那么棒吗？其实是因为大部分使用者都是英文使用者。当然了，连 iPhone开发者登记都是使用英文的。
Online mobile RPG is more popular in China than other countries. And RPG games are hard to translate into English.
Some iPhone App development company have a wired strategy. Most of the App’s names starts from character “A”, Awful Hand, Alien Crisis...This is a traditional A naming strategy in these companies. Unfortunately, most iPhone players will search for App by Top10, not by the name sorted.
有些iPhone应用程序开发公司有一个非常古怪的策略。大部分的应用程序的英文名字第一个字母都是A，Awful Hand，Alien Crisis……这是这类公司传统的“A命名策略”。但很不幸的是，大部分的iPhone玩家都是通过搜索应用程序排行榜上前十位来选择游戏的，而不是根据名字。
Low price and low quality games are on sell in China. The result is losing money and ruining the market.
People like jailbreak game in China.
Q: Once you put the game on App Store, there will be some SHANZHAI appears. Even when you sell weapons, it will be the same. How can you deal with it?
A: We have a certain account to receive the money. If people choose the SHANZHAI version or pay through the SHANZHAI store, they still can not use it. Because our system doesn’t receive the money, so it would not give you anything.
Wind of iPhone blew into China a few months ago. More than half audiences of Web Wednesday March have iPhone. Now, you can find more and more guys playing games with iPhone in the metro in the morning. You can find the boys playing Doodle Jump at the lunch time in Kudelabs. That’s why we put this topic on top.
iPhone的热潮几个月前就已经吹到了中国。三月Web Wednesday的活动上，过半数的观众都有iPhone。现在，你会发现越来越多的人在地铁上用iPhone玩游戏。你也会发现Kudelabs的男 孩们在吃午饭的时候都在玩Doodle Jump。这就是我们要讲这个话题的原因。
After a sufficient promotion online, this Web Wednesday was full of audiences. Most of the audiences are developers. And one is the author of Fun Input Toy, a famous free input method of Mac OS, Feng Huajun came and shared with us. We don’t know what would attract them most, technology, iPhone or games. But, no matter what, we are happy to see the family of Web Wednesday grows bigger and bigger.
经过了网络上充分的宣传，这次的Web Wednesday坐满了观众。大部分的人都是开发者。甚至Mac OS著名的免费输入法：F.I.T.(Fun Input Toy)的作者华君也到了现场和我们分享。我们不知道是什么吸引他们来的，是技术，iPhone还是游戏？不过，无论如何，我们都非常高兴看到Web Wednesday大家庭越来越兴旺。
- 20 RMB for 300M each month. Want this? Send "BLWHT" to 10086, send "QXWHT" if you want to cancel it.
- 100 RMB for 1G each month. Want this? Send "GPRS100" to 10086, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it
- 200 RMB for 2G each month. Want this? Send "GPRS200 to 10086, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cencel it
- 5 RMB for 30M each month. Want this? Send "GPRS05" to 10010, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it.
- 15 RMB for 100M each month. Want this? Send "GPRS15" to 10010, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it.
- 40 RMB for 300M each month. Want this? Send "GPRS40" to 10010, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it.
- 80 RMB for 500M each month. Want this? Send "GPRS80" to 10010, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it.
- 100 RMB for 1000M each month. Want this? Send "GPRS100" to 10010, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it.
- 200 RMB for 2000M each month. Want this? Send "GPRS200" to 10010, send "QXGPRS" if you want to cancel it.
- You can visit here for more detail.
- The extra flow will change you 1RMB/M, and if your SIM card is bought in Guangdong province, for example, and it will charge you 1RMB/M if you leave Guangdong province.
- The plan starts immediately when you order it, and if you cancel it, which will be indeed canceled from the next supposed charge date.
- Make sure there is no quotation when you send the message.
iPhone OS 3.0 早早已经release了, 但是由于破解还没有出来, 所以迟迟不敢更新. 3.0 增加了很多很酷的功能, 具体可以参考<a href= “http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/” >官网的介绍. 现在破解已经出来了, 按照以下的步骤, 你就可以尽情享受3.0带来惊喜了!
- 将iPhone连接到iTunes上, 然后在"摘要"页面点击"更新", 此时iTunes就会下载更新软件并自动安装到你的iPhone, 由于软件比较大(两百多兆)所以这个过程比较漫长. 同时这个OS还需要iTunes版本在8.2以上, 如果你的iTunes版本低于8.2, iTunes会要求你更新, 这时就乖乖地听它的话吧!
- 系统更新完会自动重启. 完了一个新的软件Voice Memos赫然出现在我面前, 玩弄了一下发现操作简单,音质不错, 然后再瞄了一下短讯功能, 发现打开短讯速度有所进步, 而且增加的复制粘帖功能更体现其人性化. 但是有使用Cydia软件的用户会发现Cydia不见了, 如果你需要用到这个软件, 就要将iPhone刷一次了
- 刷机需要破解的工具redsn0w, 下面提供了下载redsn0w_0.7.1.zip的地址, 打开redsn0w, 它需要导入一个ISPW的文件, 这个文件在刚刚更新iPhone的时候已经产生并放置在username/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates里(MacOS用户, 至于Windows用户的ISPW估计路径也差不多), 若文件夹里面有几个ISPW文件, 请选择最新版本的iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ispw文件, 然后按照提示进行破解即可.
I've successfully upgraded my 1st gen iPhone to a jailbroken and unlocked version of the 2.0 Software. I did it using the PwnagTool from the iphone-dev team (this URL is blocked in China, BigBoss has a mirror that is not blocked). This tool is not for a beginner, but if you are resourceful and don't mind trying things 7 times, its not terribly dificult.
The must have feature is of course the AppStore, which works very well, albiet slowly here in China. It does require an iTunes username/password, which may be a problem for some. I have not been able to install the Chinese input yet. I have enjoyed a few of the Apps from the AppStore, like the Facebook app, and Midomi. From the jailbroken apps side, OpenSSH and Mobile terminal work well as before.
So for anyone who can't wait to upgrade your phone, it is now possible and works well. However, for most Chinese users, I would recommend waiting until a more universal tool is released, and We iPhone Dev team updates their excellent software for 2.0.
OK, this is big news for a lot of apple fans in China. I have confirmed that EDGE works fine on my 1.1.4 iPhone. It is using a normal China Mobile SIM card, and all I had to do to turn it on was configure the settings correctly (credit for the settings goes to Alison)
It works through the normal China Mobile GPRS mobile internet service. The fee varies from 2RMB per MB, to 15RMB/month for 160MB, to 200RMB/month for unlimited access (ed note: See update about the prices). As far as I can tell, any prepaid card should work, even the most basic.
To configure the service, navigate to Settings -> General -> Network -> Edge
Use the following settings:
APN: CMNET Username: Password:
That's right, just set the service name. The fees are taken directly from your prepaid card.
So for any of you out there who were just getting by on WiFi, feel free to upgrade. And if you are coming to China... don't even think about paying roaming fees. Just get a prepaid China Mobile card when you get here and use it for the duration of your trip. It costs a minimum of 100RMB (14USD) or so and that would be enough to get started, you can add more in 50RMB increments
Update: I seem to be wrong about the prices, according to a chart on the China Mobile site. It says that 15RMB/month gets you 100MB, 200RMB/month gets you 2000MB, after that it is 1RMB/MB up to 500RMB. So that's 3USD for 100MB, 30USD for 2GB, with a max of 72USD a month.
Update2: The monthly package doesn't kick in till the next month so for a short trip, it doesn't make much sense. For those of you still interested, here are the instructions:
text "BLGPRS" to 10086 they respond with a list of choices text "GPRS100" where 100 means the 100RMB per month service. they should respond with a confirmation